Something simple for Sunday night. Picnic food. Lunch at the office… the possibilities are endless for this yummy slice. I’m sure we’ve all got a variation of this in our recipe collections, I know I have.
I had not thought of this dish for years until I found it in a new magazine I bought and as I do, decided I would make it.
I did change it slightly as I didn’t have everything, but it won’t make much difference really.
As mr 9 said, “pastry less quiche”. That’s about it.
Carrot, zucchini and bacon slice
4 rindless shortcut bacon rashers, chopped,
1 red capsicum chopped,
1 each carrot and zucchini grated
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup SR flour
1/2 cup milk
1) Fry bacon and veges (I added onion and extra capsicum as I didn’t have zucchini) til tender or 5 mins and cool.
2) Whisk eggs and milk together
3) add flour and cheese to mixing bowl with cooked bits and mix
4) add egg mixture and fold in til just combined.
5) pour into greased and lined tin – 20x30cm (I used a square one instead) and bake in 180C oven, 30 mins or until cooked.
Cut and serve.
For a vegetarian version swap bacon for 100gr feta cheese.
I had mine with extra veg and a salad, while I cooked other meat for the kids to have with theirs.
Bacon and veg:
Milk and eggs:
Adding flour and cheese, with a good handful of parsley and pepper
In the pan ready to bake:
And ready to eat, it smelt so good I just had to try a piece, or two
Here is a link to another version on my favourite cooking site, Taste.com.au.
Do you have your own version of this, or something similar?
No? Then give this a try, and enjoy, as it only takes around an hour from start to finish.